Wednesday, December 2, 2009

A New Favorite

(picture from here)
I made this for dinner last night while on the phone with my very best friend. :) This means two things, 1) I got to talk to Anne for 1-1/2 hours! -and 2) This is so easy that you can do it while paying no attention at all. ;) This is definitely one of my favorite recipes now!

Chicken and Rice Pot Pie

1 sheet of frozen puff pastry (you buy it pre-made, and I just defrosted one sheet in the microwave for about 1.5-2 minutes at 50% power, just until it unfolds without breaking)
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (I had them pre-baked in the freezer, so I just cut those up into cubes) cut crosswise into 1/2" pieces
salt and pepper
4 Tablespoons unsalted butter
2 teaspoons flour
1 cup instant rice (they say white, but I used brown and really loved it)
1 3/4 c. chicken broth
1/2 c. heavy cream
1 cup frozen veggie mix
(They say 3 scallions, but I forgot them and liked it without)

Okay, here is the actual recipe, and I'll just add what I changed in parenthesis.

1) Cut puff pastry sheet into 6 evenly sized pieces, and bake on lined (parchment or a non stick mat etc.) baking sheet until golden brown and crisp, about 15 minutes.

2) Meanwhile, pat chicken dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper. Melt 1 Tablespoon of the butter in large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook half of chicken until no longer pink, 1 to 2 minutes per side; cut into cubes and transfer to medium bowl. Repeat with additional 1 Tablespoon butter and remaining chicken. (I already had cooked chicken, so I just cubed and and set it aside.)

3) Add flour and remaining butter to (now) empty skillet and cook until golden, 1 to 2 minutes. (I just used a bit over 2 Tblsp. of the butter since I didn't need to cook the chicken). Stir in rice, broth and cream and bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer, covered, until rice is nearly tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in frozen veggies (and scallions), and chicken along with any accumulated juices. Simmer until sauce is thickened, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Top with puff pastry and serve.

So quick and easy! I really loved it. ALLOT. I might try tossing in an egg or two, for more of a stir-fried rice feel, because, well, I just love it! I like this so much in fact that I might just make up a double recipe on the weekend and eat if for lunch all week. Love it!! Funny fact: I used to hate rice, like, I just couldn't eat it. E.V.E.R. Then, when I was pregnant with Jenny I started having this weird craving for pork fried rice...which turned into anything involving rice. Now it is my side dish of choice and I can't stop eating it! Weird, huh?

3 comments:

  1. Oh this sounds delicious! I've been on the look out for new recipes to try since I seem to always make the same few things over and over again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds delicious and I'm all for easy meals :) Thanks for sharing, Catherine x

    ReplyDelete
  3. You talked to your friend on the phone for over a hour? That most of been a fun conversion. I barely if ever talk to my friend's on the phone for more then 30 minutes.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! I will try to answer any questions as soon as possible. ~Mackenzie